Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Successfully avoiding packing...

I guess I can start blogging again!

Tomorrow I leave for another AmeriCorps adventure, because why the hell not.  This year is different from last year.  I am going to be an AmeriCorps VISTA instead of being in NCCC.  The difference being I am not traveling around the country, I am staying in one city working with one non-profit for a whole year.  I am moving to New Orleans to work for Volunteers of America Greater New Orleans.  Yes, like I said many blogs ago, I AM actually moving to the city I wanted to!  I am very, very excited. 

Since last term ended, my life again has changed.  I came home in December to a tough transition back into life here.  I felt like I didn't fit in anywhere and didn't know what I wanted to do with my life.  Frankly, I still don't know what I want to do.  The one silver lining to coming home for me was I got to get back into an activity I loved and that is coaching.  In November, the head coach of the high school varsity team in Burlington asked me if I wanted to join the staff when I came home.  Thankfully enough, they allowed me to come into the season two weeks late.  From day one at the rink I knew the team was something special.  I got to coach the girls into the first state tournament birth in school history, I got to help 20 teenage girls become 1 team, and I got to develop relationships with athletes that will forever be in my life.  In three short months, I learned many things about myself from these girls everyday.  They taught me the true definition of perseverance.  Some of them have been on the team for 5 years, 5 unsuccessful years.  They did not give up on their team and made it as far as a team could go.  That taught me, without them knowing, that anything is possible if you just stick to it.  I am going to take that lesson with me and remind myself that everyday while I am gone.  I owe a lot of my happiness in my life to the girls because of how easy they made my transition from the Amerilife to real life for a short period of time.  These girls have changed my life forever.

In addition to coaching, I lived the unemployed life.  Let me tell you, that was not fun.  I found odds and ends to do thanks to dirty windows and an office moving.  I interviewed for a few jobs, but this one is definitely the one I want.  I am feeling a bit different this time around about leaving.  My excitement comes from knowing I am going to a city I loved AND two of my best friends live there.  They are two of the reasons why I am really thankful AmeriCorps happened in my life.  I am going to be staying at their place for a bit while I find a place of my own and we are going to have one HELL of a reunion tomorrow.  I honestly can't wait.  I am also excited to be starting a new adventure in the "job" slash volunteering world.  I am going to be a volunteer recruiter for the non-profit.  I will be working with almost each employee in the non-profit.  I will know more after my first two days of orientation with them, and I will for sure fill y'all in on my life when I know more.  I move tomorrow and will be spending the weekend in NOLA, but then Monday I have VISTA training through AmeriCorps.  I will be traveling to Denver for 3 nights 4 days of training.  Warmer weather, to snow for 4 days, then back to warm.  Kind of New England like for me.  I am excited about that too.

This week for me has been full of seeing people to say bye, looking at everything I need to pack because yes I haven't started yet, and trying to not think about how I am again taking a year to be making minimal money.  But honestly, I wouldn't have my life any other way than it is right now.  I have some of the most supportive people around me daily and I am really lucky that I am going to be living the life I want again for another year.  I am happy and ready to start a new journey in New Orleans.  The way I look at it, everyone I know now has an unreal place to come visit.  I hope the city is ready for me!

Again, I am excited to start a new adventure and I am so thankful for the people who have come into my life in the  last year and for the people who have always been there with the utmost support.  I think Winnie the Pooh sums up perfectly how I feel right now...“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard." In my case something is somethingS. 

Until next time blog readers...

No comments:

Post a Comment