Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Now where are we...

It has been almost 3 weeks since I last posted, and boy, these 3 weeks have been crazy.  I don't even know where to begin.  We arrived in Albany when I last posted and quite honestly, I wish I could remember everywhere we have been since then.  Until I remember, I will just type some word vomit...
Our first shelter turned out to just be staff.  Terrell, Lannise, and myself were placed together.  We hung out at a shelter with the American Red Cross peeps, getting to know them.  We met some awesome people, especially Morris.  He really took us under his sarcastic a-hole wing.  He told the three of us we reminded him of his grand children and he joked around with us.  We got sent back to our head quarters in Albany after one night there to be placed again.  We took advantage of the hotels, showers, and team time while we could. 

My next shelter was in Deer Park Long Island.  I was put on a team with Liz and Erika from River 8.  We decided since our teams become one, we were now River 18.  The three of us drove down with two really awesome (sarcastic) older men.  We got SO LOST that we ended up in New Jersey.  Yes, New Jersey, 4 hours out of the way.  Our quick 1 hour 30 minute drive turned into FREAKING 10.  At least I had two of the best people I've met in the last ten months with me.  We arrived at the shelter where 115 people were staying.  These people were amazing.  We were at this shelter for about a week.  I met some of the greatest people of Long Island and quickly became attached to them.  One woman in particular had two daughters ages 1.5 and 5 months, she is 22.  She had no power and brought her kids to the shelter to stay warm.  I loved her daughters, Lala  and Nana, were their nicknames.  Lala and I played catch or "ball" everyday and she came to me when she was crying.  One over night shift I had, the mother was falling asleep holding the baby so I offered at 5am to take the baby so she could sleep.  She was laughing, talking, and enjoying 5-6am until she went to sleep again.  Her mother called me her angel, second tears of the disaster deployment.  My first tears came when I met Patrick, an older gentleman at the shelter with his mom.  I got to talking to him because he looked like he needed someone to talk to.  He showed me pictures of his flooded home, his son, boats on his road, his basketball team, and his whole life.  He has been a varsity coach for 28 years and immediately I thought of my own family.  He was describing how he has helped players through tough times with parents, school, deaths, etc. and how now his past players are reaching out to him to help him.  When he started crying, it opened the flood gates for me too.  I couldn't help but think of my own family and how something could happen to us, too.  He was so down to earth and awesome to talk to.  These are just two stories among the two thousand I have heard in the last three weeks.  Over the week we were there, we had zero showers.  Luckily, Long Island residents are unreal. I met two wonderful women that opened their homes for Liz, Erika and I took advantage of that right away.  We met one woman who literally was Aunt Marie with Irish knit sweaters, Irish blessings around her home, and she made us tea!  Little things like a warm towel and tea go a LONG WAY.  Yes, the tea and towel made me cry, too.  Really emotional week.  We got moved from this shelter to another on Wednesday after completing 100 hours of work.

When we moved, we got reunited with most of River 10! We missed each other so much it was like a family reunion.  This shelter was less than good for us.  We were at a college in a gym.  The staff slept on the indoor track above the clients on the gym floor.  We were living, sleeping, and breathing with the clients.  There fore sickness was spreading.  Long story short on this shelter, we left by Friday because we have the world's best Team Leaders ever. 

We got sent back to head quarters this time in Manhattan.  I have never been to NYC so this was awesome for me.  We gave ourselves the weekend off and we got placed in the Paramount Hotel in TIMES FREAKING SQUARE.  I can see the lights of the billboards from my room.  It is insane.  The weekend was spent sleeping, sight seeing, and hanging doing nothing.  I walked to Central Park, Ground Zero, and all NYC tourists sites.  We went to see the sun set on the Hudson River and actually saw the most beautiful sunset on the Statue of Liberty.  Really an American Sunday.  My most independent moment came Sunday before site seeing.  I put my headphones in, googled a laundromat, and walked to find it.  Asked for no directions, and did my laundry.  I felt on top of the world.  Life's little victories.

I feel so blessed to be in New York.  Seeing how bad the damage is first hand really hits me hard.  One of the most incredible places in the world has had its world rocked by a storm.  It is insane.  I have met some unreal people who I will never forget.  I really love AmeriCorps and appreciate the program after these last 3 weeks.  I feel so thankful that I am doing this program and making a difference in at least some people's lives.  I really can't put into words how I feel about being here during this just yet, maybe I can come up with it after this week is completed. 

Today marks 30 days until graduation.  I can't even begin to believe it.  I have met the best friends in the world here and some of the best people in general.  How can something that was so many different emotion be explained, you ask?  Good question..stay tuned for my answer.

I am looking forward to helping more New Yorkers in the upcoming weeks.  I just got home from a 16 hour day to my hotel bed that I am going to crash into.  I miss home like crazy being so close...maybe I will make a trip home soon.  That is all for now from the city that never sleeps...but I for sure do, when I can!  I can now say pahk the cah in Hahvahd Yahd without getting made fun of, Uncle Joe!  Enjoy that!

Until next time readers...keep NY, NJ, all those touched by Sandy, all AmeriCorps teams, especially River 10 in your thoughts and prayers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment