Thursday, March 22, 2012

Walking In Memphis

Hello blog readers.  I know it has been quite some time since I last posted so let me give it to you in as most detail as possible.  I think a day-to-day rotation would suit this situation well, since the last week and a half has been an exciting one!

Last Monday we woke up with the rising sun, or pitch black which ever way you want to look at it, and had a great PT session.  After we sweat our brains off, we went into some real interesting training about asbestos, lead, and mold.  We were, in short, learning how to muck and gut a house.  We actually got to go to homes in Vicksburg, Mississippi y'all and put our skills to work.  We had to wear our awesome hazmat gear and sweat like crazy.  It could have been the hottest day thus far, but I powered through and didn't complain once about the heat (that's a lie).  These houses were in terrible condition, but we made the best of it and got through the day.  While at one house we were cleaning the debris pile and I ran into the home owner.  He was going through the pile to find some valuables from his home and I just asked in a casual way how he was.  His response of "I was doing pretty poorly until you all got here to help and now I am happy" made me realize in that very debris pile that I am here for a reason and I am going to be making a huge difference.  After the emotionally and physically draining day, we had a lovely dorm wide clean up night.  Our dorm, Ann, has been pretty messy, but believe it or not, I was doing a good load of dishes everyday.  We each got assignments for the dorm to clean and I had the bathroom on the first floor.  I could have used MaryKathryn's help on the toilet, but I managed to do a great job all while singing my well known song around here of Lean on me and entertaining most of my friends.  Yes, I cleaned my first toilet.

Tuesday we learned about Child-Friendly Spaces.  We may be working along side or closely with children in the next 9 months.  We learned how to basically help them out and cope with what they are going through.  While we were doing some big time learning, all I could think of was the fact that Tuesday night was the big permanent team reveal.  I could not tell you why I was so nervous about it, but I was.  However, before team reveal, my last temporary team leader made us the most delicious jumbalia.  I enjoyed it to the fullest.  Around 7 we were told to go to the gym with our temporary team.  While there we were put into lines and told an action.  I had to act like I was a willow tree.  Everyone had a separate action and we had to find the other people who were acting like you were.  When the entire team was organized, you were given a scavenger hunt clue to go find your permanent Team Leader hiding on campus somewhere.  After a good hour, we found our Team Leader.  I will be permanently on River 10 with our team leader Christine.  If you recall, she was my first Temp Team Leader.  We call her Beste (best-ie) because it is her last name, which makes her the best-e.  I could not be more excited.  She was hiding in a room with balloons all over the floor.  Those balloons had hints to our first project.  WE ARE GOING TO MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE!! We will be working with VECA an organization in Memphis.  We are going to be doing everything, construction, trail building, and being in charge of volunteers all while living in a hostel for 2 months.  That night was very exciting.

Wednesday we had, by far, the best day of training.  It was called Hands of Peace.  This day was the first day as a team and it couldn't have gone better.  We did pretty much get to know you games all day with another team from our River Unit.  It was a great day to start to build team chemistry and know facts about one another.  Both teams bonded real fast and every doubt we all had about our teams left after that day. 

Thursday I got to go out into the city of Vicksburg and CAP.  Basically, I went, along with 2 others, to explain to companies about AmeriCorps and to thank them for welcoming us to the city.  It was great to get to know the people of Vicksburg and Mississippi y'all in general.  I sported the Ameritux nicely and really repped the 'A' that day.  Once done CAPping, we got to join our fellow Corps members and do some beautification of Vicksburg.  I was put to Catfish row, which is right on the Yazoo River, the river that connects with the Mississippi.  We were picking up trash and making our city look nicer. 

Friday, finally.  Our Friday consisted of early morning PT then days of classroom work.  Since it was AmeriCorps week all week, we had an open house.  After our second class of the day, I was asked to speak at a little gathering of high school students in the chapatorium.  I spoke about why I am doing service and what we have been doing so far the past 3 weeks.  I like to tell people about how I feel about this program.  It is important that people understand what we are all doing and why we are doing service.
Saturday, we got to go back to the houses we were mucking and gutting and do some construction!  Our team put up a wall of dry wall.  We worked hard as a team and were told that we are a strong unit by one of the staff members.  We all thought on a Saturday, St. Patrick's Day none the less, that we would be working until 5:00.  Much to our surprise, we got finished much earlier than that.  A group of my friends and I thought it would be a great idea to go off campus and get a good dinner and have some green beverages to celebrate the best day of the year.  My bartender really made me feel at home and told me that she got some green napkins and food coloring for the beverages for me since I told her that is what my mom does.  What a woman. 

Sunday was a much needed DAY OFF.  These days seem few and far between because of everything we are doing.  I enjoyed it with a couple of good friends, a huge burger, and a nice trip to the local smoothie place.  I was happy and content with doing nothing but enjoy life in Mississippi y'all on our beautiful campus.  Unfortunately I missed a couple of big events at home.  My little Lady Tanners (yes Woburn sorry everyone) U12 hockey team were in the Valley League championship.  They lost in that game, but have improved so much over the year and I could not be more proud of all of them.  I miss their little faces a lot and I actually got to talk to all of them before the game.  I also missed a pretty big family event that turned out much better than the girl's game.  The BHS Red Devil hockey team played at the beautiful TD Banknorth Garden for the D1 State Championship which they WON!  I could not be more proud to tell people here my father is the coach of the team and that he is the best coach I know.  I know I will have days of feeling homesick, but I survived with the help of my friends and distractions here.  I am here for a purpose and am doing well now.

Sunset night one

Anyway, back to the 3 most exciting days.  On Monday morning we had PT, per usual.  After PT we had a couple of classes, but then we piled into the 15P van, which we named Scooter the Magic School bus, and drove to Northern Mississippi for a camping trip.  I have never been camping, so this was an experience.  No running water, no shower, a porter potty, and lots of sweat.  Monday was used to set up camp and sleep basically.  When we all arrived, every corps member went back about ten years and turned into a little kid.  We skipped rocks, explored, and sat on the dock for about two hours.  Two great hours.  Tuesday was business as usual.   Our team was in charge of picking up trash along a 3-mile route into the camp ground.  After lunch, we helped dig holes to put a new fence in.  After all of this, we changed into comfortable clothes and went for a long walk on trails with our team and another.  After the walk, due to excessive sweat once again, we decided the best route to get rid of the wicked hot feeling would be to jump in the lake, fully clothed.  Due to me sporting my Pats t-shirt and shorts I like I was pretty hesitant.  But I decided since it was my first camping trip I decided my motto would be "why the hell not" I jumped right in.  I made sure to force the rest of my friends to jump in, too. Tuesday night was used for team bonding.  We made a nice dinner fire side and played some get to know you games and really bonded.  I slept on the dock with a bunch of people under a clear sky of stars.  It was really dreamy.  Wednesday we piled into our vans and went to Ole Miss campus.  This campus has a ropes course.  The morning was a low ropes course, but the afternoon was a high ropes course.  Since I am such a tough guy, I did about every high ropes activity possible.  I walked on a cat walk, pretty much a large log connecting to a wire with ropes to hold onto, while strapped into a belay line with a seat to get to a platform to zip line to the other side of the woods.  I was shaking the entire time, but why not try something about 45 feet off the ground.  After that I went up a power pole that was about 45 feet high stood on top of it and jumped to try to catch a trapeze.  I missed, but stood on top of the pole scared out of my mind for a solid 2 minutes.  It was the most exciting experience.  Overall the 3 days were perfect.  Awesome sunsets, awesome conversations, awesome tents with sleeping bags to sleep on (not awesome), and the shower on Wednesday night was the best part.  I have never felt so clean. 

Today we got to go into the capitol of Mississippi y'all, Jackson.  Some teams were sent to the capitol building to stand on the floor to receive an award, while other teams, like ours, were touring the old capitol building.  The next few days will be used to prepare to walk in Memphis everyday, which I have informed my team that I will be singing everyday when we wake up.  I have taken up singing since I have been here and I am pretty well known for having the worst rendition to Lean On Me possible.  I have Dad-Z to thank for those beautiful vocals, thanks Dad.  I have been named ATL (assistant team leader) for this round.  I will be doing paper work and taking on team leader responsibilities with Beste until we return to campus on May 12.  Pretty exciting.  Monday we have an induction ceremony which we get sworn in as official AmeriCorps members. 
Long winded, but that's it.  Sorry so long, but I had to get it all out.  I will give an update about our team, Ridelten, which we named ourselves because we adopted 2 Delta Unit team members for the year and we are River ten.  Another portmanteau.  So many ameripuns and ameriwords it is crazy.  I hope all is well with everyone reading and I will give another short post before we depart on Wednesday for Memphis! 

P.S. In case anyone has lingering mail they would like to send me, here is my address
Christine Conceison Class 18 Winter
AmeriCorps NCCC
2715 Confederate Ave.
Vicksburg, MS 39180
Send away people.

P.P.S Pictures do not upload here unless you have ten hours, I will be setting up a photo page hopefully with my wonderful pictures of my wonderful new life. 
That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment